Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Cartegena, Spain

The ship arrived early in Cartegena.  We met John and Sharyn, Barbara and Larry, and their friends for breakfast in the main dining room…then off the ship for an ‘on our own’ walk through Cartegena.  We got local maps at the tourist booth where we disembarked as well as free sample bottles of Cuenta Y Tres Licor – we haven’t tried it yet….but we will!  Took some pictures of the City Hall and tried to find our way to the Castle (Castillo).  After a few false starts, I went into a store to ask a clerk for directions – even though he didn’t speak English and I don’t speak Spanish, I was able, with a mixture of single words, gestures and pointing, to figure out the way to go.  We walked, uphill of course, to the orginal Bull Fighting stadium (undergoing renovation) next to the Architecture University, then up a long steep hill with lots of steps to the castle – which really wasn’t a castle as much as it was an old building on top of the hill with a 360 degree view of Cartegena.  From the top we could see the beautiful harbor, old fort, roman ruins and a Roman Colleseum AND our ship.  This city has a long military history and we could see from the mountains surrounding the harbor and the narrow harbor entrance how well situated it was as a military port.  Fortunately, after our cardio exercise for the day, we were able to take a short cut back to the ship ready for lunch at the buffet and some relaxation by the indoor spa pool – with naps for most and reading for the rest of us.

Off to shower and change for dinner – and our surprise to meet the 3rd couple at our dinner table.  They are from  WinterHaven, Florida and now we can look forward to dinner time conversation.  This was the first time that my dinner meal was just average – a blessing for weight control

Tonight’s entertainment was a unique comedian (David Copperfield – but  not the illusionist) who was very funny and also an excellent singer.  And, once again,, we ‘night owls’ were off to bed early…or I should say that Art was asleep early as I am writing this blog!  Still working on the pictures so I guess I’ll have to say once again – stay tuned..they will show up eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment